Making of the armature sheep model

Hello!

I’m going to show you the progress of how I made the sheep model on the poster. I was experimenting if it’s was possible to create a wire armature model within an hour. It took 3 hours instead. In other words, no. Too ambitious! Make the animation sessions more simple. Regardless of taking longer than I thought. This is how I made it:

Step 01: Draw the concept of the model

Sheep_concept
Sheep_concept

This is a concept drawing that I drew for the British Animation Awards competition a few years back. Why sheep? Well, that was their mascot. Also, I needed to create a character model quick.

Step 02: Create the wireframe skeleton of your model

Ling at work
Ling at work

Notice that I always look at the screen to see if the proportion of the model is correct. Don’t follow my example! Ideally, it’s best to follow a model sheet (in animation, this helps to standardize the appearance, poses, and gestures of an animated character), but since I had no time, I took a chance. The reason I’ve made a wireframe for my model is because it helps to strengthen the structure. Also it makes it more durable.

Wire in progress
Wire in progress

One good tip, I recommend if you create the whole wireframe out of one long wire. This helps to maintain a strong interior skeleton when it comes to the later stages.

Wire part done!
Wire part done!

Step 03: Adding joint support

Adding joint support
Adding joint support

I call this part like adding extra bones to the structure. Just like our own limbs. Some parts don’t move at all. Unless your doing some sort of Disney rubber hose style of movement. This specially helps if you want a more natural flow to your model. I used wooden skewer covered in masking tape to hold it in place. You can also use lollypop sticks as well.

Step 04: Adding the plasticine

Adding the plasticine
Adding the plasticine

Once your happy with the interior of your model. It’s time to add the plasticine over it. Just like skin! To give it that flexibility. This is usually the last stage of the progress, but since I want to push the model a bit farther. I’m adding something extra to it.

Painted it
Painted it

The colour of the plasticine doesn’t suit the colour of the concept drawing. Thw way I solved this was to paint over it. This is the first time I’ve ever done such a thing. Wonder how it’ll turn out. I recommend to buy the suitable colour instead. Makes life easier.

Step 05: Adding other materials on the model

Extra Elements
Extra Elements

I added cotton balls to the sheep to make the illusion that it’s cute and fluffy. I also put the hooves and eyes using other colour plasticine. For small decorations. I painted them using black acrylic paint.

Now the sheep model is done……

Side view
Side view

Let’s have some fun!

Sheep shares......
Sheep shares……

at mac!

Sheep gets present
Sheep gets present

Awwwww!! So cute! ❤~~~~

I even made a short animation clip to promote the following workshop:

You get my drift 🙂